Memories of Lueders, Texas
Note:. . . . . . . .
This Page begins the year of 2006. However, with the Chat Line only recently re-activated and with the holiday season just past, the Chat Line was slow to get cranked back up.

This is a continuation page starting on February 23, 2006

The messages are displayed in sequences as received and without editing. However, when not provided, the author's name and class year were added.

The following Chatter occurred on February 23, 2006

Hi Former Students, friends and relatives,

I haven't seen any chatter in the Pirates' Chat Line lately and thought I would send you the guidelines again just in case you wanted to start some chatter but forgot the pirate chat line email address.

I enjoyed the chatter back in forth about the history of Lueders. Hope to see more soon.

Regards, Carlene Black, Class of 72

Web Master choose to leave out the Guidelines Carlene sent with this message

February 23, 2006
I am always interested in any history of Lueders. There may not be much on this subject, but I have always been curious about the old Totem Pole that stood for many years in the Lueders Encampment grounds, near the tabernacle. I don't know what happened to it or who did the carving on it. Maybe some one can remember something about it.
Dorene McAlister, Class of 55
February 23, 2006
YEP!! I been missing all the chatter we use to have and would dearly like to see it cranked back up. We use to have a lot of feed back from Bill McCown's daughter who I think graduated in 1965 and I been wondering if she is still receiving the Pirate Messages.
E. Ray Smyth, Class of 53
February 23, 2006
Dorene, I can hardly barley remember the Totem Pole But, as I can vagly recall, seems like it was painted in some bright colors like red, white, green and maybe some blue.

Somebody, someplace, somewhere ought to have a picture of it.

E. Ray Smyth, Class of 53

Febuary 24, 2006
In the "Little History Of Lueders" I included some information on a carving of "The Last Supper" that's made of Lueders Limestone that's located in Tulsa, OK.

I had a query from Bobby Jack Fleming, Class of '47 about the location of the carving. Bobby Jack lives in Tulsa and wanted to know where he could see the carving.

I haven't went back through my notes to see where I got that info from but I don't believe it had any more info about the carving.

I've called the research department of the Tulsa Chamber Of Commerce but so far they haven't responded.

Do any of you know anything about the carving?

Don Latimer, Class of 56

Febuary 24, 2006
Yes, I believe you are right on the colors. We were told as children that the carvings and paint were done by Indians that lived on the river, but we thought it was just a story.

Dorene McAlister, Class of 55

Febuary 24, 2006
Good to see some chatting again. Carol says the totem pole was moved to Camp Tonkawa south of Abilene. Yes it was very colorful and a delight to see at camp.

Zo Felts, Class of 55

Febuary 25, 2006
Carol and Zo's info about the totem being moved to Camp Tonkawa prompted Don Latimer to search Google for Camp Tonkawa and in a private message to me Don mentioned this which prompted me to check the web site.

This web site is operated by Frank Hilton who lives in Brownwood, Texas - Frank was a professional scouter all his life and created the web site. The site is just that:..... "The History of Boy Scouts in West Texas".

I found Frank's web site a few years ago and was really impressed by it because after all it was about my youth and the days me and other Lueders boys spent being Boy Scouts in Troop 46 which was assigned to Lueders, Texas

When I found Frank's Web Site he was limited to the space provided by his ISP and I was so pleased with what he was documenting and providing for history that I am now actually donating space to Frank and hosting the scout web site on my personal web site the same as it is for the and the

I even visited with Frank at Brownwood when I was in Texas for homecoming in 2003.

On Frank's web site he has a section devoted to the history of Boy Scout Camps of which one is Camp Tonkawa.

The direct link to this section is:....

I thought most any Pirate would enjoy reading this history because the second paragraph tells about the scouts using the Lueders Baptist Encampment Grounds for a camp in the summer of 1927 which was the very first camp sponsored by the Chisholm Trail Council.

Frank had previously told me the Boy Scout had used the Baptist Encampment Grounds.

Based on Carol telling us the totem pole was moved to Camp Tonkawa, I am going to make the assumption that it was put in the Baptist Encampment Grounds by the Scouts and actually belonged to them so one day they moved it to Camp Tonkawa.

Interestingly, I don't remember the Scouts of our day ever using the Baptist Encampment to camp out but, I can faintly recall the totem pole being there in our days of the late forties and early fifties.

Incidentally, shortly after we first met, Frank ask me to write an article about my scouting days in Lueders, Texas which I did with some memory help from a few of my classmates and fellow scouters. The article is on his web site.

Funny, that I was going to post the article here on the Pirate Chat Line to see if we could energize the Chat Line once again when Dorene brought up the totem pole and I held off to let the totem pole subject runs it's course and was then going to post the article about scouting to the chat line.

So, now that the totem pole subject has led us to Camp Tonkawa perhaps it is appropriate that I now post my story.

AND I will be asking Frank what he can tell us about the Camp Tonkawa Totem Pole.

Aren't we having fun!!! -- E. Ray Smyth, Class of 53

Febuary 25, 2006
Yes we are having fun. Great to hear from you. Hope to take time to read all about this. I worked in the Boy Scout Area office in Abilene for a short while right after we married.

Thanks for all you have researched and done !!

Zo Felts, Class of 55

Febuary 25, 2006
Ray, That is a very interesting article and I learned a lot about Lueders that I did not know. Being an old farm boy, I had no idea that there was ever a Boy Scout organization in Lueders. Thanks for the info.

F.W. Burkman, Class of 39

Febuary 28, 2006
Hello Pirates,

On the subject of the totem pole which sit in front of the Tabernacle in the Baptist Camp Grounds which Dorene McAlister, Class of 55 recently brought up.

Here is the latest:..........................

Dorene found a picture of the Totem Pole and although it is not very clear with details on the Totem Pole, it is a very good picture of the tabernacle and has Georgia Watkins, Class of 55 in it.

I have now posted this photo to the "Memories in SnapShot" Section of the Lueders History on the LuedersAvoca Web Site.

AND, Although Carlene beats on me when I stretch out the capabilities of the Pirate Chat Line, I am going to see if the photo can be sent as an attachment with a new message to the Pirate. So, stand by for that.

I can also tell you that the Professional Scouter, Frank Hilton of Brownwood has received some feed back from his fellow scouters and the following is copied in for you to read what he said first hand.
We are working on it. I have three people who now have said there is in fact a totem pole at Camp Tonkawa. One of them will be in camp this weekend and will verify the information. I have asked one of them to try and take a picture of the totem pole or at least get a description of it. More to come after the weekend!
So there Pirates, you have the latest Totem Pole News. - I will let you know the results of the findings after this upcoming weekend.

E. Ray Smyth, Class of 53

Febuary 28, 2006
Pirates, as promised, here is Dorene's picture of the Totem Pole.

It is only 35K is size so here's hoping it will go through and Carlene's upper cut is not too bad.

Let me say however all Pirates will be in trouble with me if you don't also go find and visit this photo on the Lueders Avoca Web Site in the Lueders History Section at the Memories in SnapShot link.

Cheers, E. Ray Smyth - Class of 53

March 1, 2006
Great picture and brings back lots of memories .

Thanks for the memories. Zo Felts, Class of 55

March 11, 2006
Hello Pirates,

You will recall about 3 weeks ago Dorene McAlister, Class of 55 ask if anyone knew what happened to the Totem Pole which use to be located next to the Tabernacle at the Baptist Encampment Grounds.

Carol Felts, Class of 53 reported to us that it had been moved to the Boy Scout's Camp Tonkawa near Buffalo Gap, Texas.

We are now happy to advise you that some recent pictures and a little history of the Totem Pole has now been posted to the Lueders Avoca Web Site.

All Pirates should take a look at something they grew up with and hardly noticed but, it did effect some of us and I for one appreciate Dorene bringing it up because I learned about something that was part of my youth and frankly never gave it a thought. But, as soon as I saw Dorene's picture all kinds of memories came flooding back and I could even recall a joke being pulled on all of us kids in the Tabernacle.

Incidentally, years later when I had a little 9 year old cub scouter of my own and I was the Scoutmaster here in Titusville, Florida, I pulled the exact same joke I learned in that Tabernacle on a Pack of Cub Scouts.

Perhaps a few Pirates will remember the telephone joke were the phone line is a bunch of kids and with two guys talking on the phone about going fishing then when one of the callers ask the other what kind of fish did he catch and the other answers "This Line of Suckers I'm holding on too." Not much of a joke for adults but, for a bunch of innocent kids who have no idea what's going on, it is great and I learned it so long ago in a place very dear to me now.

I was really lucky one year and got to attend the Church of Christ Summer Camp held at the Baptist Encampment Grounds and dang about a week after that was over the Baptist Church held their summer camp and mother and daddy let me attend that one also. So, I got to spend nearly a whole month in summer camps at the Baptist Encampment Grounds.

Well before I get on a roll let me tell you to go to the Lueders/Avoca Web site and on the main menu, click on the "Lueders History" link and then click on the "Memories in SnapShot of Lueders, Texas" link and then click on the "Photo-13" thumbprint.

On the bottom of the large picture of Photo-13 you will find an explanation titled "The Rest of the Story" and at the end of that explanation you click on a link which says "Click:... HERE" and it will provide you some pictures and a little history about the Lueders Totem Pole at the Baptist Encampment Grounds.

Also, Frank Hilton now has a paragraph on the Totem Pole in his Camp Tonkawa history on his West Texas Scouting History Web Site located at:.................

Have Fun and let me ask all Pirates to help crank the Chat Line back up like it was before. 150 of you can't all be that busy.

Love to all Pirates - E. Ray Smyth, Class of 53

March 12, 2006
Thanks for sharing. I didn't even know the Church of Christ folks went to the Baptist Encampment. That is wonderful to know we share that location in our memories. Later I'll share some memories from there.

I also remember going to Buffalo Gap with Ramona Mullins my aunt when she was at Hardin-Simmons, The water in that swimming pool was definitely colder than the Clear Fork of the Brazos at Nugent or the swimming pools at Cisco family reunions or Anson.

God bless you for sharing our memories,

Carolyn Mullins Pearson, Class of 65

March 12, 2006
I have just now had the opportunity to read the postings from 2004. I am thrilled with the history and personal stories from this little Texas town that figured so strongly in my life.

I lived in Lueders most of the time from the age of 2 to 10. My mother was Melba June Walls, the daughter of Collie Mack Walls and Mildred Anna Walls. Collie Mack died in 1935. He had been a nightwatchman in Lueders. Anna remarried in 1944, the year I was born, to George Clark Archer. He was the brother of Bud Archer. Clark was a handy man, and rocked a number of the houses in Lueders. He also worked at the lumberyard. I have a photo that I will email to the site of him in the paint section of the lumberyard. He passed away April 12, 1973. I was in Lueders in 2000 and visited Faye Archer and two of her children. They also gave me a box of odds and ends that belonged to Clark that might be interesting to others.

The years I lived with Grandmother and Granddaddy Archer were the happiest of my childhood. For the last 10 years I've been trying to piece together the details of life in Lueders. Your remembrances and photographs have helped greatly. I would love to hear from anyone who has any memories to share about the following families or individuals:

The Dilleshaws (my grandmother's first marriage was to Willam Clinton Dilleshaw Sr.)
Mrs. Douthit who taught first grade in 1951
Mrs. Deaton who taught third grade in 1953
Grannie Green who lived near the Church of Christ
Mr. and Mrs. Webb? who lived near Grannie Green, on the corner
The Terry family who ran the Gulf station
Charlotte Cowan (1963)
Linda Caffey (1963)
Johnny Lambert (1963), deceased, (of the Lambert Telephone family, my first "boyfriend" in 3rd grade)
The Sedberry family (my mother married Jay Sedberry around)

Thanks in advance for any memories you might be able to share. I will post some of my own soon.

Sandra Kay (Gregory) Martz, Class of ??

March 13, 2006
This is in respond to Sandra Kay Gregory,
I am Linda Caffey Evetts Fulgham, and I tryed to find you not long ago.
I saw your name in the Pirates list of names.
I e-mailed you but I guess you didn't receive it.
We live in Abilene Tx. please call me sometime 325-692-4579

Linda Caffey Evetts Fulgham, Class of ??

March 19, 2006
Motoring down the Clear Fork of the Brazos in The State of Texas

Looking back on my childhood and growing up in Lueders, Texas was a wonderful experience taken for granted at the time.

At age 12 you could become a Boy Scouts which most of my age group did and we loved playing on the Clear Fork of the Brazos River and a feeder creek called Cotton Wood. (I told of this in my story on scouting in Lueders in 40's and 50's)

Carol Felts, who was in the same school grade as I, lived directly across the street and as a result he and I spent an abnormal amount of time together and much of it was on the river.

Carol's Uncle Dodgen had a small wooden fishing boat made out of plywood which he kept tied up down on the banks of Cotton Wood Creek south if where we both lived and we just about took over his uncles boat.

We were the Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn of Lueders, Texas and had much fun paddling up and down Cotton Wood which fed into the Clear Fork of the Brazos near the rail road bridge.

If I recall correctly Carol and I even gave his uncles boat a new coat of paint which was green with white trim. I would think a new coat of paint made it our boat, Right !!

After awhile, Carol and I got tired of paddling and I knew our neighbor Jay Watkins had an old fishing boat motor he never used.

I went over and asked Jay if he would sell us the motor and he said he was planning on cutting the shaft off of it and making a powered lawn mower out of it by putting a blade on the end of the shaft.

Folks, the rotary lawn mowers had just been invented and had not been out very long. I know because around this time I was still using a push reel mower to mow our grass. So, I am assuming after Jay saw one of these new fangled machines he got to figuring out how he could turn the old boat motor into a rotary lawn mower.

Jay told me he wasn't sure the old motor would even run because he hadn't run it in a long time and it was also missing a prop.

That apparently didn't faze me. So, after some further discussion I made a deal with Jay to give him $10.00 for the boat motor providing it could be made to run.

I took the motor home, cleaned it up and had it running in a couple of hours much to the surprise of Jay's wife Evelyn as she later told my mother and dad.

I can't recall where or how I came up with the ten dollars to pay Jay except I do remember getting Carol to pay half and so we both owned the motor and was probably a first partnership for the both of us.

Carol and I were now the proud owners of a 1-1/2 horse power boat motor called a "Water Witch" which was sold new by Montgomery Ward Catalog.

But, we had one problem, No Prop!

Shorty Graham, ran a local Automotive Garage in Lueders and some how we discovered he had a Water Witch outboard motor sitting in his shop. It was a newer model and 1 horse power larger but, the prop shaft was the same which meant we could use Shorty's prop.

As an adult I would never have asked such a thing but, as a kid tired of rowing it didn't bother me to ask Shorty if me and Carol could borrow the prop off his motor. Unlike today also, Shorty said "sure" but, you can not use my shear pin because if you shear the pin off it is hard to get another so you will need to make yourself a shear pin out of a nail.

So, we took the prop off Shorty's motor, made a shear pin from a nail and to the river we went. But, alas our fun only lasted about half an hour when the motor quite running. We were a ways down the river so Carol started paddling us towards home and I cranked on the motor trying to get it started.

The motor finally cranked and we ran it a little and then it quit again. So, I cranked some more and Carol paddled some more.

We finally got back to our docking spot, tied the boat up and went home taking the motor with us.

The next day our motor cranked and ran fine at the house. Next time we went to the river we had the same results.

The motor would run a little while and quit So, Carol would paddle and I would crank or I would paddle and Carol would crank.

This scenario went on for about a month. Run and quit, paddle and crank. I think we paddled that motor further then it ever took us.

On one occasion, my Church of Christ Sunday School Class was having a picnic at the Lueders Dam located on the Clear Fork of the Brazos about a mile from where we kept the boat tied up on Cotton Wood.

I figured to impress the group and arrive by motor boat. So, I invited Carol to attend the picnic with me and suggested we take our motor boat down river to the dam and arrive in high style.

We arrived at the picnic about 30 or 40 minutes late because I cranked and Carol paddled our way to the picnic.

Afterwards we headed home and I think this is the occasion we left the boat tied up to a tree down below where the old rock scout house was built on the banks of the river close to the railroad bridge and we walked home. The next day we had to go retrieve the boat and get it back up Cotton Wood where it belonged.

Somewhere along the line, we were told the motor would run and quit, run and quit because it had a bad coil which when cold it worked and when hot it would short out and stop the motor. Once cooled off it would run again until it again got hot.

The fix to all this was to give Shorty his prop back and then borrow motor and all from him which we did. Shorty's motor ran fine and carried us afar..

I do recall being over in Abilene and going to Montgomery Ward trying to get a new coil. But apparently, it was unavailable or too expensive because we never got one.

As I recall it now, we only borrowed Shorty's motor once or twice and then seems like we lost the use of Uncle Dodgen's boat for nothing we had done but, he moved or sold it or something which eliminated our quest for an outboard motor.

As I recall it, I bought Carol's half or gave him his money back or something but, my memory tells me I obtained full ownership of the motor.

After 60 years, I will assume the statue of limitation has run out in case Carol wants to lay claim to half but, It may surprise Carol and others to learn that I still have that stinking Water Witch which we paddled further then we rode.

If Marie Watkins, Class of 57 reads this it may surprise her also to learn, I still have something once owned by her father.

I have now made a deal with my grandson, Nicholas Smyth to restore the Water Witch and we plan on putting it in the museum but, part of my deal with Nicky is the motor now belongs to him with the expectation he will forever keep it so one day he can tell his own grandsons about when his grandfather was a young boy exploring the Clear Fork of the Brazos River in the State of Texas with his buddy Carol Felts and a Water Witch.

The End

E. Ray Smyth, Class of 53

March 13, 2006
Yes, I remember that motor, it would run about as fast as Craig Tonroy could walk. I remember him trailing us up the Cottonwood more than once. Didn't remember what was wrong with it. Great memories.

Carol Felts, Class of 53

March 20, 2006
Sandra and other Pirates,

One of my younger brothers, Jerry Latimer (Gerald back then) was in the class of 61 and also had Mrs. Deaton as a third grade teacher. As I recall, he still has mixed feelings about her. He says he liked her but he thought she sometimes did mean things.

As I recall Jerry telling me, Mrs. Deaton started the school day off by having all her students march around the room, kind of like a warm up exercise. Jerry had trouble staying in step with the other students so he had him march around the room by himself. He also said that because he couldn't carry a tune, that when they had singing, she would make him lip sync.

The inability to carry a tune may be a family trait. I recall that when I sang in church everyone would turn around to see who was so far off key.

Mrs. Deaton may have left shortly after your third grade. I don't think my brother Ronnie, who was in the class of 65, had her as a teacher.

Don Latimer, Class of 56

March 20, 2006
Carol Felts OLD BUDDY, I did not consult you prior to posting the Water Witch story because I expected a challenge from you on how bad my memory was. AND I wanted to have the fun of surprising you.

Now all I get was a grunt out of you and a mighty small one at that.

Don Latimer was aware I been working on the story and after a sneak preview, he seems to think the uncle whose boat we used was Ishmael Conway Dodgen. As you know Don is pretty deep into genealogy of not only his own family but has done considerable work on both Jones and Shackerford County genealogy. He says, Ishmael had just gotten out of the Army and worked for awhile at one of the rock quarries and then moved to Abilene after a few years.

Don also mentioned your uncle John staying in Lueders and had a bunch of girls and the fact Mickie lived in Albany.

Now you done a real good on the Totem Pole so, how's about cranking your memory up and give us some more on the Water Witch. Others might not enjoy more but, I would like to know how you remember it because after all you were right there doing it with me and folks remember things in different ways.

I will listen to anything except wanting your half of the motor back. Ha --

E. Ray Smyth, Class of 53

March 20, 2006
What a treat to have the "chat line" going again and this story about you and Carol. I chuckled all through it and could just visualize all the paddling and cranking that went on. Can't wait to hear a few more good memories about our growing up days.

Edith Raughton Atkison, Class of 53

March 20, 2006
It is indeed a treat! I wasn't born until 1954 but, I am enjoying all the stories and history.

Carlene Burkman Black, class of '72

March 21, 2006
Yes I remember well the Water Witch! E. Ray and I borrowed my uncle John Dodgens old flat bottom boat and attached the Water Witch to it. It would go full blast about the pace of a good walk.

I remember Craig Tonroy hunting us one day as we motored up Cottonwood Creek and he caught up with us just at a fast walk.

We decided one day to row that boat all the way to the Anson highway bridge. We took sandwiches and some water and rowed almost all day going past the bridge and back.

Uncle John would let me use his trotlines when he was working or away for awhile. We caught lots of nice catfish when the river was on a rise.

Craig and I took that old boat on several campouts up the Cottonwood Creek. I had an old army pup tent that my uncle Mickey Dodgen had given me and we spent lots of nights in it.

E. Ray and I built a car out of old wagon parts and put a Maytag washer motor in it. We would push it up the hill West of the Latimer house and ride it back down.

I remember also we found a pontoon boat on the river that had been lost on a river rise. It was made from an airplane wingtip tank, cut in half and then welded back together with angle iron. It was really hard for one person to row as it would spin like a top but two could really fly in that thing. We had lots of fun until the real owner found it and we had to give it back.

Craig and I tried to kill us a mud hen. They are very difficult to kill with a 22 rifle as they swim under water with only their head above water. We finally killed a couple. They look like chickens with webbed feet.

We spent lots of time on that muddy old river. Several years ago as we were spending Christmas at mothers Zo and I took the grandkids to Cottonwood Creek to let them play and shoot. We got to exploring the rock piles in the creek and telling about old times when Zo fell between two rocks and broke her collar bone. With the grandkids help we got her up and back to the truck and to the emergency room at Hendricks in Abilene.

I wonder what Trey and Megan remember about that adventure.

Carol Felts, Class of 53

March 21, 2006
We saw Edith Ham at the cemetery March 14. We went to the burial service for Mrs. Harry (Carol) Prince. She had surgery for gall-bladder on Tuesday and was home by 2:20. She died before a full-day was gone - They think it was a blood clot. It was a shock.

Edith has almost no hair because of the chemo and she has lost an enormous amount of weight. She said she has totally lost her appetite for meat.

She wore a hat but was taking it off to show everyone her balding head. She had three of six sessions of the chemo at that time.

She drove to the cemetery and brought Mary Vandeventer with her.

Dolores Barnes went to see Linda Koch Brown last Friday morning. She said she was swollen up like the 'Michelin-man' and really looked bad. She has a staph infection and also a cyst on her spine. She is in Hendricks.

Carol Felts, Class of 53

March 21, 2006
Well, The Only thing I remember about the Water Witch is, ----- my brother and Carol wouldn't let me near the darn thing.

Donnie Smyth, Class of 60

March 21, 2006
Don and other Pirates,

You are correct. Ronnie and our Class of 65 had Miss Peggy Houston who died last year married with two girls.

Carolyn Mullins Pearson, Class of 65

March 21, 2006
My remembrance of Cottonwood Creek is that sometimes it would be over the bridge on the way to Granddaddy Alton and Grandmother Verna Mullins house from Lueders and we would have to turn around and go back through Lueders to the Y, then drive over the Clear Fork of the Brazos bridge to get home to our farm.

Just yesterday, I was recalling the few times we came off that hilltop screaming until Bud Shelton our bus driver during our seventh grade year stopped and told us never to do that again. He was a great high school principal and excellent American history teacher for us later.

Carolyn Mullins Pearson, Class of 65

March 21, 2006
Thanks for sharing. How is Carol Felts doing?

Carolyn Mullins Pearson, Class of 65

March 21, 2006
Cap and Myrtle Terry raised mini Shetland ponies.

Papa Willie and Mama Ocie Arrington along with Uncle Alfred had their cars taken care of there, I think. Maybe it was Daddy Carroll’s parents.

Turning 60 this year has taken some of my memories away.

Carolyn Mullins Pearson, Class of 65

March 21, 2006
Carolyn, No one who graduated in 1965 COULD possibly be having SENIOR MOMENTSl, could we???

Cheryl McCown Gilmore, Class of 65

March 21, 2006
Cheryl, I been wondering where your were. I been thinking about telling a story on your daddy that I told Don Latimer some time back. Your Dad was Bill McCown Correct??

E. Ray Smyth, Class of 53 -- By the Way Folks, Turning 60 is better then turning 70

March 22, 2006
Cheryl—Thanks for reminding me we are only seniors in some establishments. We can’t take that for granted at all locations. Thanks for bringing back to my senses.

We look forward to hearing from folks who came from our old stomping grounds at Lueders, don’t we.

Carolyn Mullins Pearson, Class of 65

March 22, 2006
E. Ray, yes, Cheryl’s daddy was Bill McCown.

Carolyn Mullins Pearson, Class of 65

March 22, 2006

I worked at Cap’s station after school and made $1.00 for two hours of waiting on cars and washing cars, and then I had to sweep up for free. Mrs. Turnroy had a panel car and she would watch me every minute. Cap allowed me to have a RC Crown at the end of my day “free” ($ 0.05 big deal!) and all the inner tubes that we could not repair for sling shots (we can’t say nigger shooters any more can we?). I build a 10 shot rubber band shooter. Regular was 21 cents a gallon. The Terrys always kept a pug nosed dog around that chased my mop that looked like a mop. The old station was all flagstone and the driveway cut through the corner.

Did You Pirates ever think about what a distraction it is a working man to have your email full of old memories. Well Just keep it up I’m in and here is my two bits.

Stay well - Max Dillard, Class of 53

March 22, 2006

I worked for Cap & Myrtle Terry the summer of '53. They would compare my work (sweeping and such) to previous workers like you and Jay Pope (class of 46 I think)

They also paid me 50 cents per hour. Then if I missed any fittings on greae jobs, they would charge ME five cents a fitting. Of course there was a chart on the wall to help locate all the grease points on each car.

I don't recall any free soft drinks. Maybe I just don't remember them.

I do know I spent a lot of money on milkshakes at the drug store.

That weird looking dog was mostly blind by 53.

Don Latimer, Class of 56

March 22, 2006
I worked for Cap and Mrytle Terry breaking those little shetland ponies!

I can't remember what I made per head.

Myrtle would not let me use spurs or a quirt on them and they were STUBBORN! I would hide my spurs and quirt over at the old gin and pick them up as I went by there. I guess I got the job because I had a shetland and I had the saddle bridle etc. to use myself. I would ride everyday after school for about 2 hours until they were gentle enough for a kid to handle. Some of you guys who had cars would see me and honk and wave and try to get me pitched off!

The Terry's treated those ponies like pets so they were pretty gentle to lead but they were sure touchy about a saddle.

Probably around 1949 when I rode for them. - Never worked at the station.

Carol Felts, Class of 53

March 22, 2006
E. Ray- You are correct, Bill McCown was dear dad.

I can just imagine any kind of story on him.

He always was playing jokes and could tell some good stories.

I'm in the great city of Wichita Falls, only got about 1.10 miles from mother and dad.

Thinking of doing some traveling in my work to get to see some of this world. \

Have really enjoyed the chat line.

Cheryl McCown, Class of 65

March 22, 2006
Carolyn--- We really do enjoy the times we used to have.

I keep thinking of the church youth group picnics down at the park by the river. Your mother MADE homemade chili onetime. I didn't know that anyone could make chili. Wolfe chile was all that I knew before that day at the park. We had a bonfire and roasted weiners and marshmallows on sticks, unless someone thought to bring some coathangers. It was church sponsered but all the kids alway came.

Carolyn, we are going to have to let some of our stories out, or, do we dare.

Cheryl McCowan, Class of 65

March 23, 2006
How did you guys get the soft jobs of greasing cars, fixing flats, sweeping and such. Myrtle always gave me outside, hot sun job of chopping down the broom weeds outback with a hoe. AND I don't remember any free soda pops either.

But, let me say that Cap and Myrtle were friends of Mother and Daddy when we first moved to the Post Oak Community in 1937 when I was 3 years old and I recall Myrtle buying me a little car when she and my mother went shopping.

At the time we did not have a telephone where we lived out on the oil lease and the calls for the Rod and Tubing jobs came in at the station and Cap or Myrtle would take the call get the information and my father would then call the oil company back when he came in from work every day. In other words Cap and Myrtle were running an Answering Service for my Dad.

So, I was well acquainted with the Terry's most all my life and can remember eating supper with them when they lived there in the station. How many of you can remember when they lived in the station.

At that time Stubby was her dog and he was a small bull dog type. I have a picture of me and Stubby when I was about 3 or 4 years old. I was sitting down on the concrete on the west side of the station where the grease rack was once located and Stubby was sort of in my lap.

When I was home one summer back in the late 80's when I was around 50 something years old. I sit down in the same spot out side the station and Myrtle took a picture of me holding her then current dog which seems like was a small pickinese.

That made the 2 pictures about fifty years apart and when I got back to Florida I had 8 X 10 size enlargements made of both photographs and planned on having them framed and sent to Myrtle to hang in the station. But, like a lot of good intentions, I never did get around to getting the frames and mailing them to her.

I could tell lots and lots of memories about Cap and Myrtle.

On any of my trips back home, I never missed filling the car up with gas and sitting a few hours and visiting with them.

There is now a missing part of my visits back home as there is of course with lots and lots of other Lueders people I hold dear to me.

Speaking of these folks reminds me of the time back in the 70's or 80's I made an effort to visit with a lot of the people who helped raise me and one was Les Tonroy who had not seen me in a bunch of years probably not since I graduated.

Les totally wall papered and painted our house inside and out twice when I was growing up and he was very fussy about keeping his paint brushes clean.

So, when I went to visit him I happened to find him in the backyard of his house and the only thing I said was "Do you have a paint brush I could borrow" -- He kind of looked at me funny and said "Well I suppose so" and he started walking off towards where he kept his paint brushes and then spun around and said "Who in the Hell are you" I reckon it dawned on him that somebody was once again messing with him.

We had a nice visit and he enjoyed remembering and talking about how he had to run me and Carol off bunches of times for messing with him when he was painting or sticking our fingers in his wet paint. He was always afraid we were going to turn his paint bucket over and would holler at us to watch out for the paint bucket.. He remembered me and Carol crawling all over the top of the barn when they were building it and he was painting it.

Aw! such memories - E. Ray Smyth, Class of 53

March 23, 2006

I do apologize for sending yet another message by mistake to the entire Pirates list. I know this must create a bunch of extra work for you or someone else. It must please you to see so much activity though!

I sent the info to subscribe to the list to my sisters, Jimmie and Myra, Jimmie's husband, Randall and my mother, Dorothy Bennett. Will that be possible? They didn't graduate from Lueders, but as you may know, my sisters went to Lueders most of their school days and mother worked there for many years. I will list their addresses below if it will help you.


Jo Bennett Burns, Class of 67

March 23, 2006
Ray, you made the remark "How many of you can remember when they, (the Terry's), lived in the station".

Well I for one did not know they EVER lived any where else. Of course I must admit that I left the Lueders area about 1940-41.

F. W. Burkman, Class of 39

March 23, 2006
Ray: I really wanted to respond to your question but I have too few friends these days. Max Dillard, Class of 53
March 23, 2006
Mother Margret did make good chili. Her Grandpa Arrington in Rotan was famous for his chili and stew at his café. Now my brother Russell has a café in Lueders with delicious food. Everyone should take a trip back to Lueders and enjoy the vittles there. One time I made Grandpa’s Arrington’s chili for the children at our church in Irving. It was so spicy hot, we had to give the children a little taste with their plastic spoon to see if they really wanted it on their hotdog.

My favorite thing to drink at Grandmother Mullins’ dad’s wife’s café with a hamburger was the very cold chocolate milk which came in a soda pop bottle. Then when Stacey Vinson and I were privileged to go to the drug store where Mother had worked as a soda jerk when Doc and Blanche Williams operated it, we enjoyed tuna sandwiches and sour limeades. When I was younger, my favorite drink was the chocolate malt made. The little ball of vanilla ice cream at the bottom was always a special treat. I think that’s why I would drink it so quickly before the ice cream melted.

What are your favorite things about Lueders, folks? Mrs. Maurice Vinson called us “Little Folks” in first grade. What a blessing she was! Mrs. Nail lives in Haskell and we have communicated a few times the past couple of years. She bought us chocolate ice cream cicles at little store north of the school when we made 100 on the trial and final tests each week in Spelling. She knew how to get 100s out of my study time.

The PTA meetings with the plays were fun also. Enough for today. . . ! My vacuum cleaner is yelling at me.

God bless you all,

Carolyn Mullins Pearson, Class of 65

March 23, 2006
Daddy Carroll carried Mrs. Les Tonroy out of the First Baptist Church after she had a stroke. Mother told me sometime before she died Christmas Eve, 2001 the rest of the story. Les leaned over and told his wife Ollie he was going which meant he was going to give his heart to the Lord Jesus during the invitation. Ollie thought he meant he was leaving church early to go to Guy and Ruby’s where they went after church on Sunday nights during those weeks. She had the stroke.

Then when my husband and I were living in Germany fourteen and one-half years and our three children were born during that time, Mother told me Les and Ollie prayed for us every day. Now, as I look back on 58 and one-half years, we are very blessed to have someone that interested in interceding for us in daily prayer. Les papered Papa and Mama Arrington and Alfred’s house. He painted our farm house two miles north of Nugent when I was 13. He always used proper grammar around us.

God bless you and thanks for sharing,

Carolyn Mullins Pearson, Class of 65

March 23, 2006
Thanks for the reminder. Life was so busy when the others were printed out, I didn’t ever stop to understand them.

God bless,

Carolyn Mullins Pearson, Class of 65

March 23, 2006
I have vivid memories of that incident also. Didn't remember it was Carroll Wayne that carried her. Craig and I were best friends for several years just after that experience. We did a lot of camping, hunting and fishing on the brazos and the cottonwood.

I wonder if Craig is a subscriber?

Carol Felts, Class of 53

March 28, 2006
Hey!!! Just because we are old doesn't mean we are OLD !!!

I loved school at Lueders - I remember that more than one of us cried on graduation night. Some of the teachers probably did too - not because they were sad we were leaving! I didn't get to start school with most of the class of '65 but I started school there in the 6th. grade and that class made me feel as if I was always a part of them. They were all like brothers and sisters to me.

Hello to all of the class of '65 that might be tuning in

Brenda Hodges Heppner, Class of 65

March 29, 2006
Time for another story Pirates,

At Homecoming in 2003 James Ray Cox, Class of 54 made the remark that one of the things we all learned in Lueders was a strong work ethic.

I could add to that "No Wonder" - Being made to shovel poop out of a cow stall and working in 100 degree weather with crude oil running down the crack of your bottom while growing up prepared us all to fight a gorilla if required to get the job accomplished.

The air conditioned vehicles and soft jobs that were to come later in life probably made some of us think we had died and gone to heaven once we left Lueders and reached the modern business world and life style we know today.

One other thing that came out of Lueders and it's people was just plain old honesty and a high level of integrity.

After learning Don Latimer, Class of 56 had wrote "A Little History of Lueders, Texas" I asked him to expand on what he had said about the two Oil Well Servicing Units being operated in Lueders.

I say Oil Well Servicing Unit now but, back in those days they were simply called "Rod and Tubing Machines" and often times we would just refer to the equipment as "The Machine" or "The Pulling Unit."

Of course my father owned one and Bill McCowan owned the other. My father had purchased his Rod and Tubing Machine in 1937 when we first moved to Lueders and lived out on an Oil Lease in the Post Oak Community.

As I recall, Bill McCowan came back from WW-II and went into business around 1946 or 47.

I figure it is closer to 46 because Bill mounted his new C-65 WichTex on a surplus 6 X 6 army truck which caused my dad to also mount his unit on a 6 X 6 and then because the Pulling Unit would go in the mud and the 1941 Ford sedan Dad had wouldn't, Daddy bought the 1947 Jeep.

During Don and my discussion I told Don a little story which will illustrate the kind of integrity I was taught in Lueders just by these two men.

I told Don that my Dad and Bill McCowan were competitors from about 1946/47 until the late 50's and in all that time I never knew of either to bad mouth the other and they borrowed each others tools. Dad had a small diameter bailer that Bill didn't have and Bill had some things that Daddy didn't have which were tools not often needed so instead of owning they just borrowed from each other.

One time Daddy had a call come in late one morning for a rod job out close to Avoca. Dad's regular guy didn't think we were going to work that day and we couldn't find him and there we were wanting to go do the rod job that day and no help.

My Dad and I had gone to town to see who we might find and there was Bill McCowan on the street.

Dad pulled in and had me jump out and go ask Bill if any of his hands were off that day that we might could use.

Bill, said No, they were all out on the job busy and wanted to know what we needed and I told him we had a 3200 foot rod job to change out a pump just south of the swede church which was about a 3 or 4 hour job as I recall.

When Bill learned we couldn't find anybody he said "Well!, I'll just go with you myself."

AND away we went, My Dad ran the machine, Bill did the rod wrenching and I tailed the rods. -- The Lease Pumper came by and said "GOOD GOD" your the last two guys I ever thought I would see working together" -- Bill and Daddy both thought that was funny but, neither thought it unusual or strange because that was how they both thought and were with each other.

In my later years I always recalled that simple lesson in ethics and patterned my own business dealings accordingly.

While in High School, I myself worked for Bill lots of times when he was short handed and he was always a joy to be around.

I can recall several stories of us working together but, we will save them for another time.

E. Ray Smyth, Class of 53

To continue reading with:...   2006 - 2nd Quarter  -  Click:...   HERE

Archives of:...
Jan 1 - Mar 31, 2006 Apr 1 - Jun 30, 2006 Jul 1 - Sep 30, 2006 Oct 1 - Dec 31, 2006
Menu - School Memories Menu - Archive Main
[  Current Page - TOP  ] [   Menu - LHS Main  ]