Memories of Lueders, Texas
Note:. . . . . . . .
On August 12, 2004, It was announced on the Pirate Chat Line, that Don Latimer Class of 56, had written "A Little History of Lueders, Texas" and it was posted on the internet. This generated a lot of chatter on the Pirate Chat Line and some of the memories were so wonderful and appreciated that E. Ray Smyth, the Web Master for the Pirate Section of the Lueders-Avoca Web Site considered them worthy of compiling into a collection for reading here:. . . . . . . .

The messages are displayed in sequences as recieved and without editing. However, when not provided, the author's name and class year were added.

The Chatter started the same day on August 12, 2004 and appeared in sequence as follows:.......

I have been one of the many fortunate ones that Don has been mailing his exerpts of Lueders history to me. I will help in any way I can with more pictures. Most of the pictures I have are of the rock quarry, the dam, Baptist encampment and inside of my grandpa vaughn's shoe shop. My Aunt Dackie (Maxine Vaughn Payne), and my sister Peggy Moon, are great people to give you some good stories of the buildings such as the Hocus Pocus building, etc.

Somewhere I have a picture of the side of the street with Mr. Shipp's pharmacy and the buildings along that side of the street, taken during the middle 60s. Thought I had one of the movie theater that was there many many years ago. Remember attending it one time as a very young child, then all of a sudden it wasn't there any more. Didn't it burn down or?

Although I didn't attend Lueders schools or live in Lueders, that little town played a large part of my life. When I visited my Grandmother Mamie Vaughn the highlight of my visits was her giving me a quarter so I could go to Smith's 5 and dime store. I'd then walk back across the street to the postoffice to get my grandmother's mail and visit with the lady who ran the post office. My mind is blank who she was. Want to say it was Mrs. Lambert, but at the same time I'm thinking she was the telephone operator. Then, I'd stop off at Shirley's cafe and pick up 4 of her burgers for 25 cents apiece. Yes! My grandmother and I could eat 2 of those things without blinking an eye. Then, the next morning I'd walk over to Manuel and Annie Bosse's to buy fresh eggs for "2 bits a dozen" and visit with them until my grandmother was about to give up on having eggs for breakfast.

Also took the time to visit with Ruthie, Carl and Thumb Benton. Bless her heart. Everytime I knocked on her door she would holler "just a minute" and come to the door putting on her red lipstick. (without a mirror!) She always had something to give me and I was beyond thrilled when I'd go back to Mimmie's with jewelry, makeup, etc.

I could go on and on about my "life" in Lueders (also where I had my 1st date) but will stop now before it becomes boring to those who have no clue who I'm talking about.

Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66, in Abilene

Terry any picture you have would be appreciated and if you can scan them in at around 72 to 100 resolution it would be appreciated and even through they are picture please do send them to both Don and I so we both know what each of us have and are receiving. On the pictures I try to achieve and where from 600 to 700 pixels in width, length or height doesn't matter too much.

I am having an awful time remember your Grand Parents -- I remember a shoe shop south of the Hocus Pocus down towards the rail road tracks.

Manuel Bosse brought back some memories - We bought a milk cow off him and he nearly cried when we took that old cow home with us.

The Theater did burn down I forget exactly when but, I think Don has that in the history now. - Mrs. Lambert was the telephone operator - Don now has a section on the Lamberts in this latest rewrite he has been doing this past month.

If you have not read his history you should go read it again he has added several new paragraphs and added too and revised lots of others.

Where did you go to school and what year did you graduate - E. Ray Smyth  -  Class of 53

RE: Terry Johnson Blackburn's stories about Lueders...PLEASE do wirte MORE! I grew up here (first 16 years) in Lueders and came back to live after 31 years of being away. I live in the same house I lived in with my parents, Maurese and Stanley Vinson, both deceased.

There so many blank spots in my memory about Lueders. It is delightful to hear someone tell stories about the town. I encourage folks to write!!! For those of us who hold this place dear to our hearts, speaking for myself, I love to hear these stories! Thank you Terry! and all the others who write.

Stephen Vinson - My class at school was the 1967 graduating class

I grew up in Albany and then moved to Abilene in '58 at the age of 11. Graduated from Abilene High School in '66. However, being that my Mother was the closest to her Mother in distance, it seemed we were in Lueders every weekend of my life to visit Mimmie. My mother (Odessa Vaughn Johnson) and her siblings (Orlan, Maxine, Corienne and Earl) grew up in the 2 story house (turned into a restaurant and now dilapidated) at the end of the dirt road up from main street, across the street from the Lamberts, catty corner from Bosse's and next door to coach Howard. There was a cotton field there where I saw my first cotton, and my mother and her siblings (if I'm not mistaking) had picked lots of that cotton and my grandmother would make pillows with uncured cotton. I don't know who owned that cotton field though or if my grandmother was even supposed to be having any of it!

Later on in years, the Kelly's had their house moved onto that field and Juanelle and I became fast friends. There are so many more memories of people I met who would come visit my grandmother. I attended the First Baptist Church on the weekends I was there and before air conditioning was installed, we were handed out those cardboard fans with pictures of Jesus, or Bible verses on them. Could hardly hear the preacher for all of those fans flopping from being waved to keep cool!

After I got my driver's license, I took over Mother's job of going to Lueders every weekend. This gave her a break and at the same time gave me a chance to hang out with and meet many many Lueders kids. The big city girl meeting small town gals and guys was the highlight of my life. And, I wonder where most of them are now.

Am going to have to dig out the pictures. Ashamed to say most of them are in a box that I got from Mother years ago, and most of them are not identified. I could kick myself for not sitting down with Mother back then and writing on the pictures as she described them to me. I thought I'd have her forever and there would always be "time" to do that, but nature proved me wrong.

I got chill bumps looking at the pictures E. Ray took last year... so many memories of the past. And that tin building....I'm almost sure my aunt knows what that was. Hopefully she's reading this and will write and let you know. Meanwhile, I will ask her myself because my curiosity is stirred now.

Terry Johnson Blackburn - 1966 graduate of Abilene High School
Granddaughter of Mamie (Mrs. George) Vaughn

Hello, Terry ----
l am Reba Gayle (Meil) Davis--you can check with your uncle Orlan as to who l am as he was my very first boyfriend. l lived in town with my Grandmother (Rena Locklyn) for at least one year because the bus route changed and in order for me to keep going to Lueders school l had to come to town and live with "Granny". Orlan used to come to her house after sc hool to see me and all l remember is that he would chase me around her house. Totally typical of kids that age at the time. But of course, l was thrilled. l visited with he and his wife at Homecoming last year and it was good to see him. About your grandfather's shoe repair shop, l can still smell that smell that eminated from it. l would go there with whatever family member needed to pick up their repaired shoes----those suckers had to last a long-g-g-g time, ha!

l enjoyed our letter very much. lt brought back sights and smells l hadn't tho't of in quiet a few years. lt amazes me that as the years advance how distinct the memories of our youth are.
Sincerely, Reba----tell Orlan and wife hello.  -  Class of 49

Enjoying reading the Lueders stories and remembering. I have just a few corrections or additions:
1. Smart's Drug Store was originally owned by Doc and Blanche Williams. Don't recall the name of the business. By the way--it's Erna Smart, not Erma.
2. The name of Mr. Diggs' Little League team was Diggs' Dodgers.
3. The Campus Cafe was run by Ode and Mrs.(don't recall her name) Davidson. Their daughter, Janet, graduated from Lueders--don't know when--probably late '40's.
4. There was another laundry for many years--just across the road from Zora's. The Fitzgeralds ran it. They had a son, Jimmy. They moved away from Lueders.

Greta "Olson" Corbitt  -  Class of 52.

The following Chatter occurred on August 13, 2004

I don't know if any of you knew my grandmother or had been in her house, but as a young child I loved sleeping on her screened back porch. She had a wash stand with an enamel bowl and scoop sitting on it in that room. What fascinated me was there was a trap door in that room too, and when raised it was a well! She would draw up water and fill that bowl with it and it was the best drinking water! She also had a wringer washer in that room and that was a large step from using those iron pots that were in her wash house in back yard. As the years went by, whichever ones of her kids took her to their house for a visit would take her laundry with them. Then, when I was going to her house every weekend, I'd either take her or just take her laundry for her to the wash-a-teria that was in that triangular area at the end of town on Albany highway. When driving by there last year, was sad to see it was another building deteriorated.

Wasn't there a Texaco station ran by Frank Burkman's parents?

Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66, in Abilene

I have some memories that involve washing clothes in Lueders:...

There was a particular day that my grandmother (Eunice Smart Putnam class of 1912) did laundry. It seemed to me it was most likely on a Monday. She'd gather up all the laundry in several baskets and we would head to Zora Latimer's laundry. The buildings that housed both Zora's Laundry and the Fitzgerald Laundry are still there. By the way, the Fiztgerald Laundry was later owned by the Finkey's. One of their sons' Alan, was in my class.

These "early laundromats" were certainly a step up from the "boil and scrub" method of washing clothes that most people in Lueders used "prior to." Zora's had serveral rows of ringer/agitator machines with three glavanized wash tubs surrounding the machine. The customer would fill the tubs with rinse waters and then fill the machine and start the process of washing, THEN rinse out the clothes. Logic can tell you that the rinsing was by degrees, first one rinse tub then another and the final one .THEN you ran each item of clothing thru the "ringer." As a child, this was a fearful activity. I had heard tales of hands being drawn thru the ringer and fingers smashed!!! Usually we took the whole morning washing the clothes. I found it fascinating that you could buy a bucket of "starch" and Zora would bring this to you, piping hot from the back of the place. OH yes, all the white linen's and most of the cotton clothing was starched then, hung out to dry with the other clothing and then sprinkled down and then IRONED!!.

Once the washing was done. We brought all those clothes home and hung them out on the "family" size clothes line I still use today. It stretched the full width of our back yard to accommodate all the clothing from not only my family but my grandparents too. My mother hung all the diapers on that line and all our other clothing...winter and summer, as did almost everyone else in Lueders. The first automatic washing machine I ever saw was owned by the Hesters..(he owned the refinery). Their daughter Carolyn, was a childhood friend.

Then one day, seems like the early 1960s Lueders got an automatic, coin operated... Laundromat!!! We were in HIGH Cotton then, let me tell ya!

Can you imagine Zora Latimer...ironed many a basketful of clothing for Lueders folks.. She ironed dress shirts, dresses, sheets pillowcases, etc. etc.all neatly starched and ready delivered most times to our home.uch work! I admire the ones who came before us who worked like this, and there must have been many in Lueders.

One last clothes story: At one time, Adolph and Ruth Olson,Sheridan, Greta and David, lived across the street from us. They had pet crows!!!

One of the crows, named Caw Caw used to come to see my mother ( Maurese Vinson) on wash day.Caw Caw would play a game with her. He would get the "clothes line rag" (as we called it) that my mother used to wipe off the clothes lines. Caw Caw would fly to one end of the clothes line with it...Mom would run down there and he would fly to the other end, back and forth for a few rounds.

Enough wash stories....Ill bet just from this one topic (Wash Day In Lueders) many stories could be shared from all of you!

Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67

Great memories, Stephen.
I hope they didn't starch the pillow cases and sheets!

I lived out on the Commons Oil Lease, about six miles southeast of Lueders. My mother had the same set up there as you described, with the wringer washer and the three rinse tubs.

Sometime she washed in town, maybe it was depending on how much water we had in the one cistern that we used the water from to wash clothes.

I got roped to do a lot of the ironing, as I'm sure most of us did. I don't miss that part of the "good old days"

Don Latimer  -  Class of 56

Hello There!

Is there anybody that remember's the motel in Lueders? My parents bought from the Winkle's the motel that was no longer run as a motel. I believe my parent's bought it in the early 1960's. I'd guess they bought it around 1962 or 1963.

This is the house I lived in most of my child hood days until I left in 1972 after graduating from high school. My Dad Cleo Burkman past away in 1988 and my mother sold the house around the 1990's. My mother, Lafaye Middleton Burkman past away of this year.

I'd love to see some history on the motel.

Cheers, Carlene (Burkman) Black  -  Class of 72

The motel was built sometime in the late 40's and was owned at that time by a bootlegger. They had two or three children that went to school in Lueders. They had a, what we would call today , a 7-11 store gas, room, etc. Some of the buildings still stand and the motel building also. If this is what you are refering too.
Glenn Commons - Class of 54
Carlene, was the motel at the end of town on way to Albany? Seems I faintly remember something about that.
Terry Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
I think the people that built and lived at the service station and motel were named Newberry. Going out of Lueders toward Albany.
Glenn Commons  -  Class of 54
This motel was built by a man named Newbwerry. They came to Lueders from California. They had a son named Jeff who would have been in the class of 57. I think they also had a daughter but I don't remember her name. They left Lueders in about 1948/49 . We moved to Wichita Falls in 1950 and they had already moved by then.
Sharon Rose Hines Hudson should have been in class 1957 but graduated in Wichita Falls.
Don, believe it or not.....many sheets and pillowcases were starched and "ironed"...
I wanted to try ironing....when I saw my mom and grandmom doin'it...and the one Item they would let me try on was the pillowcase. OH and they also ironed table clothes.
The one question I have is: WHY? the only answer I can think of....they wanted the wrinkles out of all their clothing..and bed clothing...not to do so meant a lazy housekeeper.

Pride..hmmmmm....many a downfall has come from it, yet many great things have been accomplished because of it...
Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67

Bingo, Sharon you confirmed my thoughts. They did have a daughter but I do not know her name either.
Glenn Commons  -  Class of 54
The house you grew up in was originally a rooming house. My mother and father (Blanche (Weeks) and Houston Ham, built it. Mother would cook for the boarders and serve the meals family style. Mother was a sister to Nollie Weeks Lawrence Burton. Daddy was a half brother to Austin, Denver, Banks, and Walton Ham. His full-blood sisters were May Ham Pope and Mary Ham Mitchell.
Sandra Reves  -  Class of 65 in Avoca
Just a note about Zora's Laundry: at some point in time after Zora, my uncle Earl Shelley owned and operated the laundry. His wife,Fanny, was my Dad's sister. They were Olga, Helen, Douglas, Jessie Bell, Hoadley and Rosa Mae's parents.
Aaron Petty  -  Class of 54
Sandra, It's a small world. I didn't realize that the place was called a rooming house. I just remember my mother calling it a motel. After my Mom's funeral, my youngest brother, Monroe, and I were talking about the house we grew up in and he mentioned something about what you are typed here. I have been so busy and forgot that I wanted to ask you about it.

Would you happen to have any photos during the time it was a rooming house? I would like to add them to my family history collection.

For all that is wondering where I grew at. The house is still there located about the 4th house North of the square. (North of what use to be Shirley's Cafe; if my directions are correct sitting on the west side). The home is owned by the Casselberry's now.
Carlene (Burkman) Black  -  Class of 72

Didn't Harry Prince's parents own or operate one of the laundries??
Glenn Commons  -  Class of 54
You are right Glenn. I had forgotten that. I assume they bought the Zora's Laundry from Earl Shelley.
Aaron Petty  -  Class of 54
Glenn and other Pirates, My 92 year old Mother is spending tonight with us because of the Hurricane passing through Florida and in reference to the motel, Mother says, that Newberry rings a bell but, also the name Watts comes to mind as also running the place.

However, prior to all of them and back in the late 30's early 40's, Ernest and Nell Cooper ran the place for several years. We moved from Wichita Falls to the J. P. Vickers Oil Lease were the Post Oaks School was nearby in 1937 and the Coopers and my parents became friends and one of the reason was because the Coopers had a daughter who was the same age as my 2 older sisters.

I recall an occasion when Nell Cooper and someone in another car took a whole load of kids down to the big Cisco Swimming Pool that was located below the Cisco Dam. This sticks out in my mind because Nell was driving something like a 1930ish Pick Up and the kids were all riding in the back. On the way home it got to raining and Mother had let me ride in the back with the big kids until it started raining and then she made me get in front with her and Nell. I had wanted to ride in the back going down and mother wouldn't let me but, then relented when we started back but, the rain shortened the good time I was having in the back with the big kids.

You are correct about the bootlegging part - The boot leg whiskey is what paid for the motel part of the service station/store combination. When built there was two parts of the motel as I recall. First rooms where built on one side and then a few more were built on the other side of the service station.

When first built is was not a bad looking place and pretty active. -- Lueders Limestone as I recall.

The bootlegger and I reckon his name was Newberry, also had the first and only Cadillac vehicle that was every in Lueders in those days. It was a 1949 white 4 door Fleetwood Caddie. AND he had gone to the factory and picked it up because he had learned the shipping charges would pay for his trip to Detroit so he choose to go pick it up. I was aware of this because my Dad was wanting a new car and it was just before we got the 49 blue Buick and Daddy talked to him about his Cadillac because my Dad had considered one.

You could pull up to the pumps and get gas and turn in your order for the whisky and it would be delivered to you at the pumps. I know because I was with my Dad a few times to see it happen.

For those watching the news the Hurricane should pass by us around 10 or 11 tonight. As I write this at 6:50 PM, it has just started to rain pretty hard. The Hurricane is on a track that will carry it through Orlando to Daytona which means on that track the eye will pass about 40 to 50 miles to the North West of us. We should be fine except we will get lots of rain and enough wind to make a mess with palm frons and tree limbs. My concern is the tornado's hurricanes always spon.

E. Ray Smyth  -  Class of 53

You are correct about the time I knew about it. I was wrong I thought the Newberrys built it. That was a pretty Cadillac. Thanks for the memories and they have really been coming in today.
Glenn Commons  -  Class of 54
Aaron, are you related to Dovey Petty? She's another Lueders gal I hung out with and have often wondered where she is and what she's doing.
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
No, Carlene, I do not have any pictures. I think the rooming house was built in the 30's. My brother was born in 1939, and I do not think he ever lived in the house. Mother and Daddy sold it (don't know who to) and bought a farm west of town. From there, they eventually moved to Avoca around 1946.
Sandra Reves  -  Class of 65 in Avoca
To give you younger ones something to figure out. There was a big rock hotel on the corner, I think west of the bank, two story. It was torn down when they made improvements to the highway. The bank road to the school and as you turned to go to the school on the right going south was this hotel then the tin feed store. The tin feed store building was still there last time I was there. They later played dominoes in it. Think
Glenn Commons  -  Class of 54
That is not the house that Carlene is referring to. The house that she grew up in and my parents built was a block north of the bank on the northwest corner. It is rock but it is only one story. Chuck and Johnna Casselberry currently live in the house. Johnna is the granddaughter of Irma (Tabor) and John Howard Reves. She is the daughter of Karolyn (Fulgham) and John Reves, Jr.
Sandra Reves  -  Class of 65 in Avoca
Correct this is entirely different. I know where you are talking about. The bottom floor of the hoted was a feed store and I cannot remember what was in the other space. Glenn Commons  -  Class of 54
In my day....1950's and 60's in Lueders, the Hocus Pocus building housed two store on the first floor. One was Willie Parker's feed store and the other was Ike Mitchell's Plumbing. Willie also had an ice house on the south side of his store, where you could buy block ice.
Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67
I'm not a younger one and I'll keep quiet, but I know exactly what building you're talking about! My sister and my aunt can really tell some stories about that building too.
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
Yes they (Mr.and Mrs. Prince) did buy the laundry, not sure but I think they bought it from Mrs. Latimer....and they built a brick house on the north side of the laundry. The laundry building and the house are still here.
Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67
It was earlier than that because my parents and Sue lived in the so called Ho-cuss-po-cuss before Bobbie or myself was born. Bobbie was born in 1937.
Alice Thomas  -  Class of 56
The Latimers I knew were probably Don's cousins. Truette and Howard. His aunt Zora was their mother. She and her husband were the best christian people! In Albany when I worked as a waitress in a cafe, there was a Louise Latimer who worked there and she and I became good friends. She may have been his cousin also. I had my own beauty shop in 1946. But I worked for Faye Modgling in her shop when I finished beauty school in 45.

Daddy died in 42. He was on his death bed when Pearl Harbor was bombed, and he still had the shoe shop. He was a shoe cobbler ever since I remember when I was born I suppose.(from then until he died.)

Daddy and Grandpa helped grub the mesquite trees out to make the Lueders street. And Daddy later laid some ties for the railroad. We would take walks on Sunday afternoons walking the railroad tracks and he could tell you exactly which ones he laid.

By the way, after Zora Latimer's husband died, she bought out a laundry there. She was a real sweet lady. They had a farm on the side of town where the grave yard is.
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene

How is the hurricane? Did it miss you all. Sure hope so.
Kenneth Stamford  -  Class of 53
The following Chatter occurred on August 14, 2004

You are referring to the old "Winkles Boarding House". Mother may have some pictures with the sign still attached. She is in the care home now and I can't ask her about anything anymore but I remember the rooming house. Uncle Dudley Winkles owned it and kept hay in the back where sometimes we would buy for our milk cows. I found uncle Dud's private stash there and left a note for him. I never discovered his whiskey again.!
Carol Felts  -  Class of 53
I had said my grandmother lived across the street from the Lambert' that I've slept and thought more about it, I believe the people were Erma Reeves and family, not Lambert.....
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
It's a lttle late but I think I have the laundrys straight now.

I spoke with Harry Prince and he filled me in.

By the way, most of you don't know this, Harry Prince had a bad stroke in March. His left side is still mostly paralized. He's working extremely hard on his rehab at home and is gradually improving.

Harry's parents, Chester and Ethel Petty Prince, bought Zora's Laundry from Zora Latimer. It was probably about 1958.

Harry's aunt and uncle, Earl and Fanny Petty Shelly bought, what been, Wilma and Dale Finke's Laundry, which had been Ennis and Marry Fitzgerald's Laundry.

The wives all were in charge of the laundries, while the men all had other jobs. Sisters, Ethel and Fanny, were in competition with each other.

Don Latimer  -  Class of 56

Maybe that's why I had a faint idea what the tin building was!! If anyone is interested in seeing the inside of it with my Grandpa, let me know and I'll send it to you.
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
Don, In between the Finke"s and Fitzgeralds some people named Cleavenger owned this laundry and it was attached to the back of the house. The origonal Fitzgerald laundry was that low rock building just south of the Fitzgerald house, My mother Cora Mae Tonroy Hines would work some for both Mary and the Cleavengers,. They would come get you and bring you to wash and take you back home or would do your laundry for you. So would Zora.
Sharon Hudson  -  Class of 57 in Wichita Falls
In talking about the laundries and washing, Mother used to put bluing in one tub for ALL the white clothes. My sister, Pam and myself, Cheryl, would help Mother with the washing for the six of us at home. Faye and Bill McCown were our parents. When we got an automatic washing machine, Mother would still go to laundry once a month--TO GET THE CLOTHES REAL GOOD AN CLEAN.

Mrs. Green, that lived behind the Church of Christ, did alot of ironing for us.

Another thing, in the 50 or 51, we got our first TV on Fri afternoon, We watched the Test screen?? until the TV came on abouth 5or 6 o'clock that night. Saturdaym, we had a housful of people over to watch the TV as it came on about 12noon or early afternoon, There was only KRBC Abilene station. Time for it to come on, Daddy turned TV on and we watched it about 5 min when smoke started coming out the back of the TV. Daddy, being a volunteer fireman, ran over, pushed the TV out into the front yard and turned the water hose on it.

Every kid in that house started crying because noone had watched TV before.

On Monday, a new TV arrived at our house. Thank goodness.

We lived just north of First Bapt Church and West of Methodist Church on the corner. Guy & Ruby Price lived caddycorner from us.

I have really enjoyed all the memories last night and this afternoon. Hope the Hurricane did not do TOO much damage.

Also, in reading about the Scouting adventures, Iremembered Brownies and Girl Scouts in the mid 50's. Mother and several women got together and started the above troops for all the girls. We all met at the JAIL. They tried to keep us in the front meeting room, but we all tried to get into the jail before the leaders of could get the meetings organized. Those groups lasted only about 6 months seems like.

We moved away from Lueders in '61 to Knox City, Then to Wichita Falls in '63. '65 graduated from S H Rider High

Cheryl McCown Gilmore (would be class of "65)

Your letter really made my day, mentioning my mother, Faye Modgling McCown.

We really have not had much infor about her before her and Daddy got married. She used to tell us about the plane factory, going to Stamford and Abilene, having flats along the way. But she didn't talk much about being in the beauty shop.

Was it on the south side across the street from Cap & Myrtle Terry's station??

Cheryl McCown Gilmore  -  Class of 65 in Wichita Falls

You are correct I had forgotten who was on the bottom.Thanks
Glenn Commons  -  Class of 54
Does anyone remember the "Doodle Bug"??? What an exciting treat to be able to ride it to Stamford and back!!! Don't know when that train stopped running through here--maybe around 1954????? Does anyone remember? And the fare was what--nickle, dime???
Greta "Olson" Corbitt  -  Class of 52
Greta, l don't remember the price of the fare, but when we were in the 2nd grade (l think) somehow, the whole class got to ride the train to Stamford to see "Gulliver's Travels". The only thing l remember about the movie was when Gulliver was tied down and the Lilliputins were all over him. But that train ride was a thrill of my lifetime.
Reba G Meil  -  Class of 49
I've really enjoyed all this reminiscence about the 'good ole days in Lueders. I never lived in Lueders but my early remembrance or introduction to Lueders was the laundry. No one mentioned that it was a steam laundry. I'm one of those 'Dammed Swedes from Ericksdahl' and my parents did most of their shopping and business in Stamford but the laundry there just didn't have as much steam so we did our washing in Lueders. Mother didn't drive (back in those days) we had to wait until Daddy could take us. Evidently we didn't do the laundry every week. Daddy helped Mother so there wasn't anything for me to do. I hated those trips to the laundry, seems like it took all morning. The building was soooooo hot, that was probably from that big boiler. I remember those overhead pipes coming from it to the washing machines. Those pipes had several facets to turn on the hot water and steam and then some to turn the cold water into the rinse tubs. This must have been in the very late '30s and '40s. We lived about two and a half or three miles from church and about a mile and a half from Swenson School where I went to school until I was in the 8th grade. It was then that we moved to our own farm about 5 or 6 miles north of Lueders and I started school in Lueders.

It must have been fun growing up in Lueders back in those days. I was an 'only' and my parents were in their 40's when I was born. We lived way out in the country and my parents didn't go to fun places very much so I was very lonely. My playmates were my dogs and cats.

I now live on the first farm my husband and I bought which is 4 miles north on Farm Road 142. I teach Pre-K at Lueders. The ole town has really gone down. Wish I had oodles of money........wouldn't the main street make a cute western town with a board walk and hitching post. Restore all the old buildings to have western store fronts and house arts and crafts type of shops.

Ernestine "Segerstrom" Heller  -  Class of 53

My remembrance is that the Shelley's ran the laundry across (west) from Zora's.
Greta "Olson" Corbitt  -  Class of 52
The following Chatter occurred on August 15, 2004

I suppose I could say I owe my "existence" to the Texas Central Railroad Company...the train that came thru Lueders.

My dad's father (Stanley Vinson, Sr.) was a depot agent. He took a job as the depot agent in Lueders and my dad Stanley went to school here, where he first met my mom, Maurese Putnam. Later down the road...they married and had their family.

So in a round about way..that train was responsible...

By the way, Im proud that some of those "Damned Swedes" and "Dangit Danes" were my relatives by marriage and part of my family. Im so thankful I had the opportunity growing up to know Erna Basland Smart and Mary Seth Smart. What would that drug store have been without them?

These memories everyone writes about are wonderful!!

If any of ya'll need to ask questions regarding Lueders History.. Edith Ham has a memory that rivals my computer....We should have an ongoing question section called ASK EDITH. !!!

Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67

I remember your mother, Cheryl!!! My mom and yours were close friends...always.
Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67
Did you know Carol, that your mom, Arlene, told me she and Red were married in the Methodist Church parsonage. It is still there.
Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67
Hi All, I have been reading for days. I find my self anxious to read the next bit of history that each has been able to tell. I am a transplant to Lueders.....started there in 7th grade and quite in my Junior year to marry.......what a dummy......but my heart has stayed in Lueders. I had gone to school in Anson and Abilene........but when I came to Lueders I was home. No one seemed to be a snob which you know is very important to kids. We first lived by the Garvins so I met them first before I started school and Don used to slide around our I guess you could say I knew who that boy was before school started..Ha. Anyway.....Have I missed or know anything about Shipp Drug, am I remembering right. At night when we kids hung out 'downtown' Lueders at the curb in front of Shipp's........the night Watchman had a key to Shipps. If we wanted a Cola he would take our money, go in to the Coke Machine and back out. I'll bet he sold more Coca Cola on Friday and Saturday night than he did all week. Who ever said if they were rich or had lots of money to fix main street feels the same saddness I do when I drive through there. My memories have lots of happiness of Lueders and all of the people in neighboring communities that became my friends then and through the years. An idea of 'History' would be for each write their memories or essay thru their years and link them together. Good reading folks.
Pat "Culpepper" Roberts, would have been class of 1961
Pat, It's a little late, but I apolize for "sliding" around your corner. It was a good corner for sliding around.

I've updated what I'm putting in about Mr. Shipp. Does anyone remember his first name?

You could usually find the night watchman somewhere on Main Street. He would open up Shipp's Drug store at night so you could buy a frozen treat from the freezer box and you would just put your money in a small box there. Shipp's Drug Store would fill your prescription and maybe offer you some advice on what medicine to take. There was usually a pin-ball machine against the back wall. After Lueders no longer had a doctor, Mr. Shipp would sometimes give simple injections (such as penicillin) and treat and bandage small wounds for local people. Of Course, some of the people couldn’t afford a doctor. He was later chastised by officials for "practicing medicine without a license."

Don Latimer  -  Class of 56

Hey! We kids thought it was neat. Mom would say.....that boy is going to roll that car one of these days. I still like fast cars but to just watch them. I am a racing fan and worked in the new and used car business for 14 years. No apology needed.

No I can't remember any thing except Shipp's Drug. The pin-ball machine I don't remember, only a coke box. I don't recall being able to go inside. Maybe the rules had changed by then or I just don't remember. (1958-60)

Did we call the night watchman 'Pops'? Some name like that. I don't remember who he was now.
Pat "Culpepper" Roberts, would have been class of 1961

Mr. Shipp's name was Owen Twain.
Shirley Graham  -  Class of ??
Was his name O.C. or Oscar or something like that? My aunt will know if no one else comes forward.
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
Speaking of pinball machine! During the 60's, on the same side as Smith Variety Store, and I'm thinking in a building next to it, someone in Lueders set up a video arcade building with lots and lots of pinball machines and a few pool tables! Had forgotten all about that, but that was our weekend hideout....seeing who could get the most points. Who was it that did this for Lueders and exactly which building was it in?
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
*blushing* I knew it was O.C. something! LOL O.T. is what he was called....thanks for clearing that up.
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
Does anyone reading these exerpts know the Fickle girls? I have a photo of my mother when she was about 7 or 8 (maybe not that old) with 2 other little girls and they are not identified. My aunt Maxine Vaughn Payne said that Mrs. Fickle and my grandmother Mamie Vaughn were really good friends and maybe those 2 little girls were hers. If anyone thinks they can help me with the identity, just email me and I'll send you the picture.
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
If yall can stand one more washing clothes story, here's one I got from my sister back in July! Was scrolling down my emails and saw that she sent an "Old timers clothes washing recipe"!! The 1st paragraph was her message to all she sent it to, then the rest of it I have no idea where she got the directions, but interesting enough to read, I think.

Terry Johnson Blackburn

I can remember watching the washing being done in iron pots in my grandmother's back yard approx. 55 years ago. I can also remember watching women make lye soap in those same pots using the grease they had saved from cooking. (There was no such thing as vegetable oil or any other kind of oil to cook with. You saved all the grease from your beef and pork and strained it in a container and used it for frying, and seasoning foods.) PM

Old Time Washing Clothes Recipe
Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe: This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook - with spelling errors and all.
Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water. Sort things, make 3 piles 1 pile white, 1 pile colored, 1 pile work britches and rags. To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.

Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don't boil just wrench and starch.

Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.
Hang old rags on fence.
Spread tea towels on grass.
Pore wrench water in flower bed. Scrub porch with hot soapy water. Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.

Paste this over your washer and dryer. Next time when you think things are bleak, read it again, kiss that washing machine and dryer, and give thanks. First thing each morning you should run and hug your washer and dryer, also be thankful Thanks Shirley. for your toilet---those
outhouses used to get mighty cold!
***wrench means rinse.
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene

Thanks Shirley.

I looked it up and the exact spelling is Owen Twayne Shipp.

The Senior Shipp died in 1973 . His wife's name was Olga Stanley. Mrs. Shipp died in 1958. They're both buried in Mount Hope Cemetery.

Owen Twayne Shipp, II died in 2001.

Don Latimer  -  Class of 56

Yes i do remember the hotel, but we always called it the hocus-pocus building. My moms cafe was right across the street Shirley's Cafe.
Linda "Evetts" Fulgham  -  Class of 63
Hello to everyone!!
I have been reading all weekend long and have thought of a couple of things that have been left out.

The first one is the Latimer Laundry was once owned by a Mrs. Hale who lived on Bluff Creek Ranch with her Husband who was a pumper for some Oil Co.

The Second one is for Stephen Vinson - The Texas Central Railroad didn't come through Lueders It Was the MKT Missouri-Kansas- Texas Railroad.

Back in my days the night watchman that opened the Shipp Drug Store for us was George Newell. also Stanley Shipp was killed in Abilene sometime last year.

I am a 1946 Graduate of Lueders High.

Ken Webb  -  Class of 46


Good to hear from you.

You're right about Mrs. Hale running the laundry. After Zora Brock's first husband, Charlie Latimer, died in 1942, Zora was married a short while to Claud Hale, who, I think, run a water pumping station for an oil camp. Either Bluff Creek or Cook Field.

The Texas Central Railroad was sold to M. K. & T. about 1911. I forget the exact date. M.K. & T. then operated it for a long time.It was the "Katy" Doodle Bug that everyone remembers riding. I think some of their engines continued to have Texas Central printed on them.

No one seems to know when the Doodle Bug stopped running. The M. K. & T. through Lueders until 1967, but they were only carrying freight, etc.

Does anyone remember when the Hocus Pocus Building, that stuck out in the street, was torn down. It seems to me to be sometimes in the 60s, but that kinda a guess.

Don Latimer  -  Class of 56

It appears both RR went through thar area. You can find the info at I hope it is OK to put this link in here. It tells about both RR lines.
Pat "Culpepper" Roberts  -  Would have been Class of 61
HI Linda.....

You and your sister were 2 of the people I had been wondering about, and I'm sorry to hear of her passing. I don't know if you remember me or not, but my sister Peggy and I used to hang out with you and Ann Shirley at the cafe when yall weren't busy helping your mother.

Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
Granddaughter of Mamie Vaughn

My aunt recalls "the Hocus Pocus building burned down right after a J. Register bought it", but didn't mention what year that was.
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene

Mr. Shipp's name was Owen Twain Shipp, Sr. He had three children: Owen Twain Shipp, Jr. , Stanley, and Gwendolyn Gay.
Greta "Olson" Corbitt  -  Class of 52
Yes i do remember you and your sister. Did she live on the hill from our house going to Lueders? Where do you live? and where is your sister?
Linda "Evetts" Fulgham  -  Class of 63
She lived down the hill from your house going towards town. It was the white 2 story house with green trim and fence across front yard. It would have been on your right coming to town. It was the last house until the Kellys moved their house next to it where the cotton field used to be. I can't remember who all had lived in other house next door to her, but people who I remember the most are the Howards.

I'm in Brownwood, married 36 yrs with 2 daughters, 2 son in laws and 3 grands...a girl and 2 boys; 8, 3 and 1. My sister and her husband live outside De Leon, with 2 surviving children and 5 grands. Their oldest daughter passed away 5 yrs ago at age 35 with cancer.

I am so grateful to Carlene Burkman for getting me involved in the Lueders/Avoca site. I wasn't born and raised a Lueders girl, but I think half of my life was spent there and I feel like I belonged, so all of the memories that are being spawned are very relaxing and refreshing to me. :-)

I can still see the inside of your mother's cafe. Especially the counter with barstools that had red padded seats and silver trim. Sat on those many a time waiting on her good hamburgers to take to my grandmother's.

Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene

The following Chatter occurred on August 16, 2004

Is anyone out there old enough to remember the Baptisms down at the river, before the Baptist Church got it's baptistry inside the church. If so, do you have any pictures? My Dad and sister were baptised in the river sometime in the early 40's.

My parents were Ted and Thelma Overfelt Mcalister (Class of 1925). We lived in the Fitzgerald house from 1947-1953 and there was yet another family that ran the laundry some during that time by the name of Vassar. I don't remember their first names but they had a baby boy named Roger Dale.

Dorene "Mcalister" Allen  -  Class of 55

Beg your pardon, but the Texas Central did run thru Lueders however, it had changed to the MKT, true enuf after 1911, when my grandfather Vinson was depot agent in Lueders....however he had worked for the Texas Central and therefore referred to it as such, in letters we have dating from the early days.

As Don Latimer has mentioned...the MKT took over in 1911.

Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67

"Pop" McBride was the nightwatchman. He was the father of Ruth Foster Thornton.
Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67
Stanley was not killed. He slipped in the bath tub and hit his head. Same with O.T. Shipp the second.
Alice Thomas  -  Class of 56
Yes, I was Baptisted in the river from the First Baptist Church. It was common in those days. The church, at that time, did not have the facilities at the church.

When we were boys swimming in the river. The cartaker of the encampment would try to run us out. He did not want us around all those girls, don't know why. We would not harm them, they probably knew more than us. It was fun tho. He would get very mad.

Glenn commons  -  Class of 54

Is your husband the young man that worked for Fred Sides in his repair shop??
Glenn commons  -  Class of 54
Do you remember what year you were Baptised in the river? The picture I want a copy of was in the early l942 or 1943. If I remember correctly everybody were holding hands and there was a big line of us. Only one little boy and little girl was not holding hands. That little girl was me. This picture would mean so much to me.
Rena Mclaister  -  Class of 50
It was late 40' or early 50's. I do not have any pictures. thanks
Glenn Commons  -  Class of 54
I would like to point out, as an old-timer, graduated 1939, that I know for sure that the FIRST Nightwatchman Lueders ever had was in fact GEORGE NEWELL, and was as best I recall still there when I left Lueders area in about 1940-41.
F.W. Burkman  -  Class of 39

Everyone's right. Pop McBride (Ruth Foster's dad) replaced George Newell as night watchman, probably in the late 50s.

Don Latimer  -  Class of 56

I don't know if this info is right but. I do know the Hocus Pocus building was still standing in 1950! In the early years there was indeed a feed store on the south side and at one time West Texas utilities had an appliance store and office there. The door to the apartments and rooms was in between the two stores. When My parents Fred and Cora Mae (Tonroy '25) Hines married in 1935 they lived "over Hocus Pocus" as mother would say. I also remember that during the WWll there was some sort of mattress factory there. They didn't make the mattresses there but "tied" them I think sewing them together. I barely remember seeing ticking laying in high stacks to be placed over the cotton. My son still uses one of the BIG safety pins they used, for a Key ring.

Sharon Hines Hudson  -  Class of 57 in Wichita Falls


That sounds right to me. I've talked to several people and the general consensus seems to be that the Hocus Pocus Building was torn down about the same time as Lueders consilidated with Avoca. It was gone by 1968.So it was probably between 1965 & 1968.

After the Railroad Depot closed, Willie Parker bought the depot, moved the depot to his house and relocated his feed store from the Hocus Pocus building to the depot building (by his house).

Don Latimer  -  Class of 56

I, Like so many of you have been glued to my computer and the Lueders web site this weekend. I remember M Shipp very well . I remember if Dr. Williams was out of town Mr. Ship would try to make you better then after Dr. Williams got killed he sorta took on the unofficial roll as Dr and did indeed get dinged for it. I remember the many times he swabbed my throat with iodine because it was sore. As I have said I have cleaned out my mother's house and you would be surprised to see what I have found. I found a pillbox and also a pill bottle from Mr. Shipp's drug store. When we sold our house in Lueders the deal was done in Mr. Shipp's drugstore

I don't know the time frame but after Mrs. Shipp died He married Rutha Lee Mitchum and was married to her at his death. Does anyone know if she is still living or not?

Sharon Hines Hudson  -  Class of 57 in Wichita Falls

I can tell you this..I owe a great deal to Mr. O. T. Shipp. He helped me many times in recovering from "soar throats" and the like. Because he was willing to administer penicillin shots I was able to recover from what could have been much worse.

I have talked with Ruthie Lee about their marriage, and I learned a great deal about enjoying life from the converstation. They enjoyed life!

Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67

OH and yes, Ruthie Lee is still living...she is in her 90's. She lives in her parents home. Albert Wilhite is one of the main reasons Ruthie is still with us.. He has devoted a great deal of his time and energy to see to it that Ruthie is comfortable and safe and ...alive!
Stephen Vinson  -  Class of 67
Lueders was incorporated in 1948. The first mayor was Homer Thomas. One of the first things the city did was to purchase a new fire truck. Everyone was quite proud of the fire truck, and the Lueders Volunteer Fire Department was organized. The first house to catch fire after that was the old Dunlap house that the Jake Register family was living in. The Register family consisted of Jake, his wife Ollie, daughter Patty Ann, and son Donnie J. It was on the street diagonally across from Rockwell Bros. Lumber Company. The fire truck and volunteers rushed to the fire, and then they couldn't get the equipment to pump water. Every time they started the pump, the engine would die. They kept trying to get it to pump water; meanwhile, the house burned to the ground. Afterwards, they found a closed valve that should have been open. It was the talk of the town for awhile.

Don Latimer  -  Class of 56

I too, remember the Hocus Pocus burning, but it may not have burned to the ground. It was a tradgey because the Register family had just moved there because their family home on the road just north of the school had burned to the ground. Dorene McAlister  -  Class of 55
If you will check in Abilene you will find that Stanley Coswell Shipp was Killed in Abilene in Car wreck sometime last Year ask Bobbie Lovett in Abilene who is my Cousin, he awas killed not far from her House.
Ken Webb  -  Class of 46

You're right about it being a car accident. I spoke with Ryan Shipp, a nephew of Stanley's and son of O.T. Jr (Skipper) and he confirmed it. He was killed Aug 25, 2002.

Don Latimer  -  Class of 56

You and your sister aren't far from me. I live in Abilene. I have been married for 40 years with two children ages 33 and 37. My daughter has 2 girls ages 16 and 10, my son has two boys 15 and 13 and a daughter 11. He lives in Clyde and my daughter lives in Abilene. My husband retired from Lockheed and works partime for Dillard's. I'm not working. I had my right knee replaced about 2 years ago. So guess i will stay home now. But i enjoy it i get to see my grandkids more now. My sister Ann passed away about 3 years ago with cancer. It was quite a shock. She had not been sick for long. She has three children living and one son passed away in a truck wreck. I see her two daughters quite often one lives in Ballinger and the other in Slaton. Her son lives in Haskell and her other son passed away. Time passes so fast as we get older. My mom always told me that but i didn't believe her boy i do now. Linda "Evetts" Fulgham  -  Class of 63
You are correct, then their was a man by the name of Jack Clevengar there for a while. I don't know before Ruth Fosters dad or after. Glenn Commons  -  Class of 54
Sam did work for Fred Sides when he was in High School.
Linda "Evetts" Fulgham  -  Class of 63
And my aunt Maxine Vaughn Payne says same thing....Newell was the 1st night watchman.
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
Granddaughter of Mamie Vaughn
I thought Albert was a fireman in Abilene. Has he moved back to Lueders as well?
Terry Johnson Blackburn  -  Class of 66 in Abilene
Granddaughter of Mamie Vaughn
We had a 2 day vacation while Charley visited us. As a result of Charley's visit We had, No Electrical Power and thus No Air Conditioner, No Stove, No Refrigerator, No TV, No News, No Computer, No Internet, No E-mail. However, we weren't alone because about half the town was without electric also.

For 2 days, We sit in the front yard, talked to neighbors, lived by candle light and ate out - Kind of like the good old days in the 40's and 50's that so many of you Pirates have been writing about while I been gone..

We lost a couple sections of roof from a small green house in our back yard and 2 large trees down at the museum but, no other damage we have found thus far. One of the trees at the museum took out the overhead power lines and blocked Main Street a couple of days.

Mother's house, the kids and grand kids houses fared about the same.

Mother came over to stay with us during the hurricane and is still here because her electric is still out and a tree limb took down the phone line running to her house.

Besides the 2 trees, we have a mess at the museum property with all the limbs, and moss from the other trees. We probably have a couple of pickup loads of palm frons alone to pickup.

I reckon hurricanes aren't much different from a Texas Tornado. Just wider and slower.

I have a week or so clean up to do but, hopefully I will now be able to keep my e-mail current.

I was delighted to get back on line and find so many messages on the Pirate Mailing list and be able to read the wonderful memoirs that my fellow Pirates have written about days long past.

AND, for those of you wondering why I didn't respond to your e-mail, you now know I had an excused absences from God.

Cheers to All, E. Ray Smyth  -  Class of 53

This article was still available.........Pat

Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Collision victim was former missionary

Reporter-News Staff Report

An elderly San Antonio man killed in an accident Sunday night on Oldham Lane was a 1946 graduate of Abilene Christian University and former director of missions at Highland Church of Christ.

Stanley Shipp, 75, was killed about 8:30 p.m. Sunday when the car he was driving collided with a pickup truck on Oldham Lane. Police said Shipp pulled into the path of the pickup at the intersection of Oldham Lane and East South 27th Street.

Shipp’s wife remains hospitalized in stable condition, KTXS-TV reported.

Officials at ACU said Shipp was well known in Church of Christ circles as a missionary and missionary trainer. He was a member of Oak Hills Church of Christ in San Antonio, where Christian author Max Lucado is minister.

Shipp, who grew up in Lueders, earned a degree in chemistry at ACU. His life’s work, however, was in starting churches in places as diverse as Rosebud, Texas, and Lausanne, Switzerland.

He also spent many years in St. Louis, where he began and directed an internship program to train students in Bible and evangelism.

Pat "Culpepper" Roberts  -  Class of 61

Hello Alumni, teachers and friends,

This is a friendly reminder.

This mailing list is designed for Lueders Pirates former students, Lueders former school Staff, and cherished friends of the Lueders former students.

This mailing list is to communicate with each other, discuss Lueders homecoming, former students topics, and miscellaneous topics.

Feel free to reply to messages or start a topic by addressing your email to

To help you distinguish which messages are from the Pirates mailing list, the messages will have in the subject line [Lueders Pirates].

The Mailing List Rules:

1. Posting and replying are allowed.

2. Replying to a Message: To maintain continuity for the other readers: Please do not erase the previous replies. Please sign your name and provide your class graduating year even if at a different school.

3. Subject Lines: a. If you stray from the original subject of a original message , please create a new mail message and address it to Remember to add a subject in the subject line of your message.

b. Do not leave the Subject: field blank. Always fill in the Subject: field with a brief and concise description of the content of your e-mail. This is very important in helping those you communicate with organize and manage their e-mail. Important: avoid using all caps or all small case, terms such as Hi, Help or Please Respond, or the recipient's name in the Subject: field as you may be misidentified as a spammer and your e-mail deleted.

4. Not Allowed: Messages with "Attachments", "Forwarded Messages", "CC:" (Carbon Copy) and "BCC:" (Blind Carbon Copy). Please, refrain from posting (sending) the above messages.

I hope each of you are enjoying the mailing list.


Carlene, LAO Admin.
L-A Class of '72

Yes she is and my brother (Thurman Thomas) helps take care of her.
Alice "Thomas" Backus  -  Class of 56
When I was growing up, George Newell was the night watchman. He used to let us in to Shipp's Drug Store for popsicles, cold drinks, etc. at night when we were roaming around--slumber parties, etc. I never knew this one you named.
Greta "Olson" Corbitt  -  Class of 52
I believe that is incorrect. I saw the news report when Stanley was killed in an automobile accident.
Greta "Olson" Corbitt  -  Class of 52

To continue reading with the Chatter which occurred on August 17, 2004 Click:...   HERE
Archives of:...
Aug 12 - Aug 16, 2004 Aug 17 - Aug 24, 2004 Aug 25 - Sep 13, 2004 Oct 23 - Dec 31, 2005
Menu - School Memories Menu - Archive Main
[  Current Page - TOP  ] [   Menu - LHS Main  ]