The Stamford Sanitarium
Also known as The Stamford Hospital
In the 40's and 50's when GranPa was growing up, the Stamford Sanitarium or what most folks called the Stamford Hospital is were we went to get fixed what ailed you.

Medically primitive by todays standards but, philosophy it was no different then todays facilities because it was the place were your babies were born and your parents died.

You kids GranMa was born there on December 24, 1935 and 20 years and 8 months later her first baby, Deborah Kay was born there on August 3, 1956.

My Father who was your Great Grand Father died there on June 20, 1962

AND like we were saying, my little brother, Donald Ralph was born in the Stamford Hospital on June 17, 1942. Donnie was delivered by Dr. Metz who it seems like was there forever. I think Dr. Metz must have delivered practically all the babies in Jones County.

GranPa tried to stay out of the place but, I will tell you of one of my adventures there a long time ago.

In high school I got to having bad head aches which I just barely could tolerate. I had been to an eye doctor who told me I need eye glasses and flatly told my mother he guaranteed they would cure my head aches because I would get rid of the eye strain. Shoot, the lens were straight glass and did nothing. AND in those days eye glasses were expensive. You couldn't go to the local drug store or Walmarts and get a pair.

One day when I was around 17 or 18 years old and working out West of Lueders on an oil well with my father I got to hurting so bad I couldn't stand it and daddy told me to drive up to Stamford and see a doctor so I did and the old doctor told me to take these pills and ........ AND I told him to hell with that, I was not leaving until he done something and I didn't care what it was but, something had to be done.

He looked at me and said "Are you hurting that bad" and I said, "Shoot me I don't care."

He took a metal pan and sit it in my lap and said "Here hold this." He then took a metal pipe and stuck it up my nose and hit it with the palm of his hand and the pipe looking instrument tore through the top of my head and into the nasal passage.

He then took a hose and hooked it to the bottom of the pipe up my nose and started a pump or something which started a water solution circulating around through my head and nasal passage and out the other side of my nose which I now knew the pan was to catch all the solution he was using. But with it, out came a bunch of mucus and junk.

When the solution cleared up, he shut it down and pulled the pipe out.

That was over 50 years ago and I have not had one single head ache since. Amazing but, true.

The Stamford doctors might have been considered country ones but, that doctor sure fixed me up.

I can remember a few things about the hospital. When you walked in the doors of the East Wing there was a set of stairs right in front of you that went up 2 or 3 steps and then to the right and back around again to the 2nd floor and just at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor was the baby nursery.

As reflected in the photos, there was a West Wing and an East Wing and the two were connected by a hallway type structure between the two wings. As I remember it, the East Wing was U shaped and there was two halls running North and South in each. The left side of the East Wing on the 2nd floor was were the mothers rooms were located. The right side of the East Wing was were the sick patients rooms where.

The west wing was were the doctors offices were located. When you first went in, there was a receptions and switch board operator sitting on the right and then each of the doctors had an office right off the lobby.

The West Wing also housed the single nurses and the ones in training and going to nursing school.

The doctors themselves owned the hospital and I don't ever remember making an appointment, you just went up and saw the doctor and he fixed what ailed you or put you in the hospital right then and there. Kind of a one stop only arrangement.

In the late 60's early 70's, they built a new hospital out on the highway going to Lueders and the Stamford Sanitarium was closed and sit vacant for several years.

In 1978 while home on vacation your GranMa and I were in Stamford and noticed they were in the process of tearing down the old hospital.

All the windows and exterior doors had been removed and the building was standing there pretty much empty, vacant and wide open.

We decided to take a walk through and look around at the places we had never been allowed in before and also for nostalgic reason to take a final look see.

In one of the rooms we found an old straight back rocking chair like was in all the patients rooms.

Today we have that rocker refinished and sitting in the family museum we call the Smythsonian and it has a sign on it stating were it came from and the fact your GranMa and Deborah Kay were born in the hospital.

We also removed a medicine cabinet which hangs in the little green house in the back yard and it is where I stow the plant and bug sprays.

I also took the room numbers off the room GranMa was in when she had Debbie and made a plaque with the numbers on it and a picture of the hospital along with her birth statistics and gave it to Debbie on one of her birthdays.

The Stamford Hospital as we all called it, holds lots of memories for your GranMa as well because she had lots of relatives born and die there.

In 1978 we took 3 pictures of the Stamford Sanitarium and they are here on the Web Site and you can see them and some additional history of the hospital by the links listed below.

1978 Hospital Photos
History of Hospital
Return to Hospital Page
Stories Menu 
Return to Story

Current Page - TOP  ]  *  *  *    *  *  *  [  Menu - The Old Chief  ]
Copyright © 2007 by E. Ray Smyth